Google Docs is one of the most popular word processing applications out there. It allows you to create all types of documents- including class notes, invoices and resumes- and customize them however you want.
You can also easily print your documents directly from Google Docs. There are two methods of printing a Google Docs document:
- Using the Print command in the File tab (or using the Control+P shortcut)
- Using Google Cloud Print
Never heard of Google Cloud Print? Not to worry as we will be giving you an introduction to the service in this article. We will also be talking about how to print a Google Docs document from your mobile.
Let’s get started.
Method 1: Using the Print command
The first method of printing is by using the Print command in the File tab.
You can customise your print setting before you print the document. For example, if you want to print on both sides of the sheet, you can choose the two-sided option. You can also save your document on your desktop or laptop before printing. We will be explaining all the print options available to you in this section.
Let’s learn how to print using this method.
Step 1: Open the Google Docs document that you want to print.
First of all, open the document that you would like to print. You can do this by simply clicking on the document of your choice under ‘Recent documents’ in the Google Docs home page.
If you don’t already have a document you’d like to print, you can create a new one. Click on the plus sign to create a blank document or choose from one of the many existing templates.
Step 2: Click on the File tab.
Next, click on the File tab. This is the very first tab in the toolbar, located in the top left corner of the screen. When you click on this button, a menu will appear on the screen.
Step 3: Click on the Print option.
The Print option is the last one in the File menu. Click on it to open the Print window where you’ll find all the options for customising your print.
You can also use the Control+P (or Command+P, if you’re using a Mac) to open up the print window.
Step 4: Adjust the print settings if you have to.
You should see the following options in your print window:
- Destination: Here, you can select which printer you would like to use. If you want to save your document before printing, you can also choose the location where to save it. The ‘Save as PDF’ option saves the file on your desktop or laptop. The ‘Save to Google Drive’ option saves it on your Google Drive.
- Pages: This option allows you to choose the pages you want to print. The default option is ‘All.’ If you don’t want to print all the pages in the document, choose the custom option and enter the numbers of the pages you want to print. For example, if you want to print pages 7 to 12, enter 7-12.
- Copies: The default number of copies is 1. If you would like multiple copies of your print, you can change this number.
- Color: The default option that is selected is ‘Color.’ You can change this to the ‘Black and white’ option if you want. Generally, you can do this if you don’t have any colorful images in your document, so taking out a color print would be unnecessary.
Below the Color option, you should see ‘More settings.’ Click on this option to further customise your print. You should see the following options under this section:
- Paper size: The default paper size that is selected is ‘Letter.’ You can change this option depending on the size of the paper that you’re printing on. For example, if you’re printing on an A4 sheet, you can change the paper size to A4. This way, you can make the best use of your paper and make sure that there isn’t a lot of blank space.
- Pages per sheet: The default option is 1. However, if you want more than 1 page of the document you’re printing on the sheet, you can change this option.
- Margins: Margins are the space between your text and the edges of the document. The default option is ‘Default.’ You can also choose to remove or minimize the margins if you would like to save paper.
However, it’s generally better to use the ‘Default’ option as it gives it a neat look, making it more readable.
- Scale: This basically refers to the percentage of the page that you would like to use. The default option is ‘Default.’ You can change this option to a number between 10 and 200.
- Two-sided: If you want your document to be printed on both sides of the sheet, check this option.
- Headers and footers: If you don’t want the headers and footers in your document to be printed, uncheck this option.
- Background graphics: You might have some background graphics in your document, such as a watermark. You can select this option if you want these graphics to be printed.
You also have the option called ‘Print using system dialog.’ When you click on this option, a new dialog box prompted by your computer will open. The benefit of choosing this option is that you get more options for customizing your print. For example, you can change the quality of your print.
Any time you change an option, Google Docs generates a preview in the print window. This allows you to ensure that you are choosing the right options.
Step 5: Click on Print.
Once you are satisfied with the settings you’ve chosen, click on the Print button.
Method 2: Using Google Cloud Print
Google Cloud Print is a service that allows you to print documents from the web. This means that even if you are at work or school and would like to print documents from your printer at home, you can use Google Cloud Print to do so.
With that introduction, let’s learn how to print documents using Google Cloud Print.
Step 1: Determine if your printer is compatible with Google Cloud Print.
In order to use this service, you should have a WiFi-enabled printer that is compatible with Google Cloud Print. You can go to this website to see the list of printers of various brands (including HP, Toshiba and Samsung) that are compatible with Google Cloud Print. These are printers that are ‘cloud-ready.’
Step 2: Connect your printer to Google Cloud Print.
To connect your printer to Google Cloud Print, go to the bottom of the list of a particular brand and click on the link that takes you to the set up instructions.
Another way of connecting your printer is by going to chrome://devices and clicking on the ‘Manage’ button next to the name of your printer. Then, click on the ‘Register’ button in the ‘Confirm Registration’ box.
On the other hand, you can connect your printer even if it’s not cloud-ready. Go to chrome://devices and click on the ‘Add printers’ button under the ‘Classic Printers’ section.
Step 3: Print your document.
Once Google Cloud Print is enabled, it will appear as one of the options in the Print window.
Printing from your mobile
You can also print any Google Docsdocument from your mobile. Just follow the steps below.
Step 1: Tap on the three vertical dots at the top right corner of the screen.
Tap on the three red dots to open up a menu.
Step 2: Tap on Share and export.
Tap on the ‘Share and export’ option to open a menu where you will find the print option.
Step 3: Select the Print option.
When you select the Print option, Google Docs will prepare your document for printing. You can adjust the settings and click on Print.
This is everything you have to know about printing a document from Google Docs on a desktop or laptop as well as mobile. We hope you found this article useful!
More Useful Tutorials.